ENGLISH I

My students don't know the verb to be

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mariana marianapt2 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Adriana
    adloru
    Participant

I don’t know if this happens to you, but most of my students don't`t even know the verb to be when they arrive to English 1 in High School. This makes very difficult to follow the program or to develop projects.

They don’t have factual knowledge. They usually tell me they never had English classes in “telesecundarias”. I feel it’s impossible to take these students from rural areas from cero to B2 in two years. I know this forum is not a space to complain. I would like this forum to be a place to harvest ideas to help our students learn English.

Profile photo of Mariana
    marianapt2
    Participant

Hello teacher Adriana, I know the situation can be frustrating, because yes, it happens, there are many students that arrive to this level with no knowledge of the language and as you just mentioned, it makes almost impossible to follow the program. In this case you would have to start from the beggining, try to give some examples of the book if it is possible, to ler them know some vocabulary or some other topics, but in grammar you would have to start with the basics. Sometimes we have students with more knowledge than others, that makes difficult to catch up for some students, but you can always divide them in different groups and/or make them help each other depending on their level.

Hope this can help you

Greetings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.